CTPA Security and Safety Guide
|How to activate STRI's Emergency Response Plan?|
Call 212-8911 or 212-8211 |
(STRI's HQ's Security Post)
|Provide the following information:|
|Areas of Refuge|
|Tsunami Evacuation Areas|
|Portable Defibrillation Machine|
The Center for Tropical Paleoecology and Archaeology is housed in the historic Ancon Building, a 10-minute walk from the Tupper Center across from the Supreme Court building. The facility is designed and equipped for processing samples of fossils and sediments, as well as for geological mapping and stratigraphy. The building also houses STRI's permanent research collections.
There is a private road that connects the CTPA with the STRI Ancon Dormitories. There are limited parking spaces at the CTPA level. There is excess parking for CTPA located next to the Ancon Apartments.
Security at the Complex is carried out by a contract security guard force. All emergency communications and notifications are received at the main security booth by calling 212-8911 or 212-8211 where the guards will activate the STRI Emergency Response Plan.
Additional Security and Safety Information for the BCI Station
In addition to the security information on Panama in general and STRI's security and safety policies, the following applies to the CTPA Station.
- There is security protection 24 hours per day. Security guards could ask to see your STRI ID. Expired IDs will be retained. When directed by the Security Office, the guards could check vehicles and also ask any person to show the contents of bags, boxes or similar items.
- Drinking water - Water at the Complex is safe to drink at the drinking water source next to the Conference Room. Panama City tap water is generally safety to drink. However, there have been occasions when weather-related conditions have negatively affected its quality. Therefore, consuming bottled water is the safest alternative when in doubt.
Concerns and Safety Risks Specific to the CTPA, the ANCON DORMITORY, and TUPPER Complex
The CTPA building has electronic access control and there is a security guard on duty 24hrs. The Supreme Court Palace is located across the street and civil demonstrations around the areas sometimes interfere with the access to the facility and other operations at CTPA.
The CTPA building is located in Ancon where the number of assaults and robberies reported is increasing given its proximity to nearby high risk areas. In addition, the building's courtyard is used as a shortcut for people not related to STRI, any suspicious activities should be reported to the security guard.
The ANCON DORMITORY is also located in Ancon. This building can be directly accessed through Tomas Guardia Street or through the internal courtyard from CTPA. There is a security guard on duty during the night. Due to the increasing number of robberies nearby and around the neighborhood, visitors should exercise caution when arriving and while leaving the dormitory. Visitors should be cautious when walking or bicycling between Tupper Complex and CTPA/ANCON DORMITORY.
STRI recommends walking in groups whenever possible, to reduce your risk.
- STRI Headquarters Security Guard Booth 212-8911/212-8211
(from CTPA Station phones dial 28911 or 28211)
- Incident Commanders
- Yvette McKenzie (212-8198)
- Enrique Moreno (212-8092)
- Liliana Londoño (212-8057)
- Meeting Places
- Primary Meeting Place: Adjacent to the Nursery at the lower level
- Secondary Meeting Place: Ancon Apartment Parking Lot
- Areas of Refuge
- Internal hallways in all buildings away from windows
- Portable Defibrillation Machine
- CTPA Administration Office.
Safety and Security Related links
- Working in Panama
- Travel within Panama
- Key security recommendations
- General safety and security
- Work Policies
- Field Trips
- Field Trip Registration Form