APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15 March, 15 May, 15 August, and 15 November of each year.
PROGRAM DURATION: up to 4 weeks.
PROGRAM DATES: Internships usually begin approximately 2 months after notification of acceptance into the program.
DESCRIPTION: This internship is based at STRI's Galeta Marine Laboratory, which is both a research and an educational facility. Thus, interns may apply to assist in education and outreach projects as well as research.
ELIGIBILITY: Undergraduates, recent graduates (post-bachelor's) and early-stage graduate students majoring in biology (or a sub-discipline of biology), natural resources, environmental engineering, tourism, education, geography, history, architecture, economics, sociology, or political science.
- Online application form
- Professional resume or CV that contains your background information and relevant experience.
- Essay: A two-to-four page statement of your interest in pursuing this position.
- Transcripts or academic credits from your current and previous institutions. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Excellent academic standing.
- Two letters of reference – one from a faculty member at home institution and one from a distinguish member of his/her community. You will need the names and email addresses of two academic references. Through SOLAA you will send an email to these referees so they can provide letters through the web. The proposed advisor and co-advisor cannot provide the recommendation letters. Letters may be written in English or Spanish.
- Project or research title or indicate the name of the Internship Program: “Robert Stimming Internship” in the Online Application.
- Desire to learn, be dynamic, teamwork ability, creativity and willingness to serve others.
- Community engagement activities are accounted for.
- This program does not have a nationality restriction, but preference will be given to Panamanian Nationals.
- All materials (CV, essay, transcript, letters) may be submitted in English or Spanish. If not in English or Spanish, the applicant should provide translations to either language.
AWARD: Awards are variable, depending on the nature of the work and the length of the internship. This is an UNPAID internship but room and board in the Punta Galeta Marine Laboratory is provided during the internship period.
Online Application Guidelines